Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
Here we see from Hebrew parallelism (repeating the same ideas twice) that the following concepts are closely related:
1. A "clean heart" and a "right spirit".
2. God's "presence" and "Holy Spirit".
3. The "joy of salvation" and a "willing spirit".
From the three parallelisms above, we discover three important truths:
(1) When we have a clean heart (clean as cleansed through forgiveness), we will we have a right spirit.
(2) When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we will experience God's presence.
(3) When we experience the joy of salvation, we are empowered with a willing spirit to serve God.
And the final outcome is effective evangelism as we teach transgressors God's way and help them return to God.
So, to be an effective evangelist, we need three things:
(1) PURITY: A clean heart that gives rise to a right spirit.
(2) PRESENCE: Fullness of the Spirit so that we can release the presence of God in ministry of worship & prayer.
(3) POWER: The joy of salvation to make us willing (highly motivated) evangelists.
May we who want to reach the lost daily seek God for a clean heart, fullness of the Spirit and the joy of salvation that empowers us to serve with a willing spirit!
Lord, have mercy on us and cleanse us from all our sins. Fill us afresh with Your Spirit and let the joy of Your salvation be our strength so we can serve You with gladness. Amen.